This post is read-only. Please continue the discussions on our blog instead.

< BACK The following is the post and its replies: [Sort Oldest Posts First]

Investor
Level 10
  Opportunities for ressource and energy savings
Posted 04.06.2008 13:37 CET | Edited 03.11.2014 09:59 CET

Wow, that is indeed a fantastic business investment. Looking forward to invest in it.

The barefootpower site has some interesting facts regarding overall spending on kerosine. The business case looks pretty solid to me.

Investor
Level 10
Posted 04.06.2008 12:22 CET | Edited 18.11.2014 10:15 CET

Hi Forum,

I saw this one http://www.myc4.com/Portal/WebForms/Opportunities/ViewOpportunity.aspx?OpportunityId=2050 and wanted you to be aware of it. PV cells and LED lights.

I look forward to my next repayment(s), as these will be invested here.

/Claus

Investor
Level 3
Posted 14.05.2008 16:01 CET | Edited 14.05.2008 16:06 CET

Quote from: Tina on 23.03.2008 13:37 CET
Hey Joerg and Sunday

Quote from: Joerg Schwieder on 11.02.2008 17:46 CET
The problem is: this would probably have to be developed in Africa since European companies have very little knowledge about this - with European sun levels it's simply not worthwhile over here. Maybe some Asian companies will help out here - India could be a huge market, too.

Sorry about my absence from this blog; many interesting posts. Tina, I need to add two points about isothermal energy. First, I used it most of the time to warm up water for a bath for 17 years. We just kept the water our for about 2 hours. So the basic concept is already widely used and would easily be expanded to cooking. The second point is cultural: I believe people in Uganda spend most of their waking hours outside. I do not understand the factors that drive the culture but I gues it is probably going to change as people 'modernize' and begin acquiring television sets, computers, working inside factories, etc. The point is a lot of cooking and almost all eating during a sunny day is done outside and it would be natural to use the sun.

Lastly, I am travelling to Uganda this December, for a month's vacation. These discussions will definitely be on my mind as I travel around northern Uganda. If anyone has specific questions that might be answered through simple observations they should feel free to ask them, and I will do my best to get the answers.

I work with an NGO there, and we have floated the idea of a 'trade show' to promote local innovation. Energy-efficient technologies would definitely be some of the submissions we look for.

Investor
Level 8
Posted 27.04.2008 18:20 CET | Edited 27.04.2008 18:24 CET

Hi

There is some ativivity in Africa - specially north of Shara but also south.
Here is a couple of examples:

http://www.photon-magazine.com/news_archiv/details.aspx?cat=News_PI&sub=africa&pub=4&parent=483

http://www.photon-magazine.com/news_archiv/details.aspx?cat=News_PI&sub=africa&pub=4&parent=411

Tomas

Investor
Level 10
Posted 11.04.2008 10:30 CET | Edited 11.04.2008 10:34 CET

Thanks Morten - I wasn't aware of that. Looking forward to see more of these.

/Claus

Investor
Level 10
Posted 10.04.2008 21:33 CET | Edited 01.12.2014 12:51 CET

Hi

http://www.myc4.com/Portal/WebForms/Opportunities/ViewOpportunity.aspx?OpportunityId=1504&tab=Details

This opportunity wants a loan for energysaving and more reliabel power. And it´s ready for investments now.

Morten

Investor
Level 10
Posted 31.03.2008 14:48 CET | Edited 31.03.2008 14:52 CET

Not an expert in charcoal production, but read somewhere that the 30% efficiency of char coal production can "easily" be improved if the operator is educated in proper production of char coal... So just basic training can improve the energy efficiency.

Other than that - improved design in stoves (locally produced) will also greatly enhance the energy efficiency.

Regards
Claus

Investor
Level 9
Posted 31.03.2008 13:44 CET | Edited 31.03.2008 13:48 CET

Quote from: Sunday Abiria on 25.03.2008 07:34 CET
Import and install solar power systems...power homes and small villages.

Very cool opportunity, I'll go for it.

I don't want to spoil the sentiment, but I feel there might be a problem in competing with low tech energy resources like charcoal.

To me what is happening with charcoal production now is worrying because the the energy efficiency is only 30%. Added to that charcoal production is usually done at the expense of natural flora.

On the other hand it seems not unlikely to me that producing and transporting solar panels might be just as inefficient and in that scenario the money flows back to Europe. Also it might not be feasable for the majority of homes to invest in solar panels.

Can we think of a low tech environmentally friendly energy source, so that we can support the local economy without the downsides of deforestation?

Investor
Level 3
Posted 25.03.2008 07:30 CET | Edited 25.03.2008 07:34 CET

Quote from: Joerg Schwieder on 16.03.2008 23:33 CET

Quote from: Sunday Abiria on 16.03.2008 21:20 CET
I am very much interested in starting Energy and Power systems business in Uganda. I have already identified my first 4 customers. Anyone interested in coming aboard.

What do you want to do?

Import and install solar power systems...power homes and small villages.

Investor
Level 10
Posted 23.03.2008 20:49 CET | Edited 01.12.2014 06:31 CET

Quote from: Chano Chrillesen on 23.03.2008 09:01 CET
For the easy explanation of absorption cooling look here.

http://eddiem.com/fact4/coolit/coolit.htm

Regards
Chano

Chano, good link!

This post has been locked, so no more replies can be made.